legal liability insurance for teams and clubs
Five elements of cover in one policy
Our specialist liability package is called COUNTYCOVER and has been designed to provide protection to clubs if any of their members are held at fault for bodily injury to third parties or for damage to third party property.
The following covers are provided under the COUNTYCOVER policy:
- Public & products liability
- Employers’ liability
- Officers and committee liability
- Professional indemnity
- Cyber liability
How do I purchase this product?
This insurance policy is exclusively available via affiliation to a County FA (CFA) that has signed up to the NGIS.
By CFAs arranging cover as a group insurance scheme it means that premiums are more affordable to their affiliated clubs and leagues at the lower levels of the game. Cover can be obtained via the affiliation process and premiums are per member club, regardless of the number of teams. Leagues and competitions can purchased the cover at the same price as clubs.
Click here to see whether your CFA has signed up to the NGIS and if you are eligible for this COUNTYCOVER product.
What is it?
Provides protection against legal liability for bodily injury to third parties and damage to third party property.
Public & products liability claims examples:
- A player slid off the pitch into a concrete post. It was alleged that the post was erected too close to the playing surface and injury could have been avoided if the club had taken prior action. The club were held liable for the injury to the player.
- During a football competition the club provided their own barbeque and supplied burgers and snacks. Following the event the club received news of several cases of food poisoning from various people that had attended the event. The club were held responsible.
- Ball hit over cross bar and lands in undergrowth behind the goal. Player went to retrieve the ball and got caught on hidden barbed wire fencing causing serious injury. Club were held liable for failing to ensure a safe environment to play in.
What is it?
Provides cover in respect of claims made against the club for injuries caused to an employee of the club arising out of and in the course of such employment.
Employers liability claims example:
- A club asked a ‘volunteer’ if he would put the nets up on a regular basis in return for a small monetary reward. The club supplied a wooden step ladder to help fulfill the task.
The stepladder collapsed whilst the volunteer was using it and resulted in sustaining an injury.
It was proven that the step ladder was rotten and unsuitable for the task at hand. The club were held liable under Employers Liability because of the master-servant relationship.
What is it?
Provides cover for claims made directly against individuals at the club e.g. officer, committee member, director and/or trustee for alleged wrongful acts.
Officers & committee liability claims example:
- During a committee meeting club member A read out a statement relating to club member B. Club member B took offence to this statement and later pursued legal action against club member A for alleged defamation of character.
What is it?
Liability cover for claims made against the club for negligent acts, errors or ommissions, libel, slander and defamation. Includes cover for coaching activities that may be given in return for a fee.
Professional indemnity claims example:
- A club coach decided to bring in a new warm up regime before a game. A few players reported back pains a week later. It was alleged that these injuries were as a result of the new training regime and the advice that the club coach had been giving the players.
Claims for injury were pursued against the coach for the instruction and advice he had given. The policy offered protection to the club coach in this particular case.
What is it?
Provides cover for your liability in connection with the content of the club’s/league’s website, email communication or transmission of a computer virus.Cyber liability claims example:
- A club official drove to work with lap top on back seat. Stops at lights and a thief reaches in and steals the lap top with all the information on club members, including names and address, contact numbers, dates of birth, nationalities and some bank details.
Club had to deal with advising members of the loss of data , banks and dealing with some adverse publicity
Is COUNTYCOVER available in my County?
Check to see if your County FA supports the NGIS and if they provide this product as part of their affiliation.