football team personal accident insurance
There's no substitute for personal accident insurance.
If you become injured whilst participating in a club/team activity you can incur significant financial losses as a result. Personal accident insurance can help offset some of these unexpected expenses. Protect your players, committee members, managers, trainers and assistant referees/officials in the event of a personal injury.
When does cover apply?
- Whilst at any ground or premises worldwide (exclusions apply).
- Where there is an agreed fixture or training.
- Includes travelling directly to and from such activities.
- In addition the policy cover has been extended to include club social events (exclusions apply).
- The life cover is included and operative whilst training and playing football matches only.
Who is covered?
We have policies designed for both adult and youth teams. The policy automatically includes:
- Committee members.
- Club officials.
The maximum age limit for players is 55 and club officials 75 years of age. If you have any players and officials above this age the policy will provide a reduced level of cover. View here.
Life Cover will commence at attainment of 6 years of age and will cease at attainment of 50 years of age.
What are the policy benefits?
The NGIS provides 'BASIC', 'INTERMEDIATE' (adult teams only) and 'SUPERIOR' packages for both adult and youth teams.
- Please note that some County FAs (CFAs) require a minimum level of insurance to enable you to affiliate and the 'Basic' and/or 'Intermediate' level of cover is not available in some Counties. You can check to see if your County FA supports the NGIS and what their minimum level of required insurance is here.
- If you obtain a quotation via this website it will automatically default to the required cover when you select the CFA you are affiliated to.
The 'Basic' policy (not available in all Counties) provides:
- Adult teams - Cover for serious and long term injuries for adult teams. (Please note weekly benefits are not provided)
- Youth teams - Cover for serious long term injuries and also some short term benefits such as broken bone, primary dislocation, emergency dental (pain relief) and hospitalisation.
The 'Intermediate' policy (adult teams only and not available in all Counties) provides:
- All the 'BASIC' policy benefits to include cover for serious and long term injuries. (Please note weekly benefits are not provided).
- Inclusion of some short term injury benefits such as broken bone, primary dislocation, emergency dental (pain relief) and hospitalisation.
The 'Superior' cover provides:
- All the 'BASIC' and 'INTERMEDIATE' cover benefits plus a vast range of additional benefits covering both long term and short term injuries.
- A choice of weekly benefit amount for adult teams.
- Ability to include a range of optional extra benefits.
It ensures all participants have protection in the event of an injury and because this is a non negligence cover it can help reduce litigation in the game, because unlike a liability policy you do not have to find someone to be at fault for an injury to receive compensation.
Some County FAs may require adult teams to purchase a certain level of cover.
If purchasing cover via our website it will automatically default to the minimum level of cover required by your County FA (only applies to Counties that support the NGIS). If your County FA has signed up to the NGIS you can check your County FA insurance requirements here. You can select your affiliated County FA from the list to access the relevant product literature and information.
If your County FA is not supporting the NGIS you are still eligible to purchase this personal accident cover. We advise that you check with your County FA first to see if minimum insurance requirements apply.
I am a new team/club or my team/club insurance policy is currently with another insurance provider:
You have two options available if you wish to purchase the NGIS policies:
1) Apply online (no administration fee). Instant receipt of documentation & instalment option available.
If you choose to apply online you can:
- Obtain instant quotations and purchase cover for the new season (Effective date 1 July). NOTE: All policies for the NGIS run from 1 July each year. If you purchase your policy after 1 October your premium will be calculated on a pro rata basis to reflect the time on cover to the 30 June each year.
- Pay by debit or credit card or
- Take advantage of our monthly instalment facility enabling you to spread the costs over 5 monthly instalments. (Subject to criteria and acceptance).
- Download your policy documentation instantly and automatically receive by email.
- Your County FA will receive automatic notification that cover has been arranged (to assist with your affiliation process).
2) Apply by post (£5 administration fee):
If you choose to apply by post you can either:
- Download our brochure. You will find this in the County FA pages of our website. Please return the application form with a cheque.
- Apply online and select “pay by cheque” on the payment screen. This method will enable to you print out a pre completed application and will also result in a faster processing of your policy documentation when your postal application and payment is received by Bluefin Sport.
If you are currently insured on the NGIS for the 2019/20 season (policy expiry date 30 June 2020) you will receive direct renewal notification from Bluefin Sport either by email (if you provided us with an email address) or alternatively by post.
Our renewal notification will explain how you can renew or amend your covers for the 2020/21 season.
The FA have introduced standardised rules that apply to Steps 2 to 6 of the National League System.
All clubs must be members of a players personal accident insurance scheme. (The policy cover shall be at least equal to the minimum recommended cover determined from time to time by The Football Association).
For ease of reference we have set out below which NGIS policies would meet these requirements:
- Step 6 teams Superior 200 or above
- Step 5 teams Superior 200 or above
- Step 4 teams Superior 300 or above
- Step 3 teams Superior 400 or above
- Step 2 teams Superior 400 or above
- lnfluence of alcohol, solvents, drugs or medication unless prescribed.
- Being a professional footballer.
- Illness or sickness
- Any claim attributable either to arthritic or other degenerative conditions in joints, bones, muscles, tendons or ligaments.
- Repetitive stress (strain) injury or syndrome.
- Claims as a direct result of being a member of the armed forces.
- Engaging in a criminal act, riot or civil commotion.
- Club social events that include fireworks, bonfires, driving events, bouncy castles, water sports or any activity above 3 metres off the ground.
- Travel to a specific area against advice issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Please see the policy for full details of exclusions.
Why choose an NGIS policy?
- We’re The FAs appointed insurance broker and provide the official National Game Insurance Scheme (NGIS) products.
- The ability to buy online or apply by post.
- You can view your account online 24/7 (online purchases only).
- No pre-existing condition exclusions in respect of accidental bodily injury (with exception of dislocations).
- No limit to number of players/club officials in a team.
- Wide policy wording definitions.
- Permanent total disablement from usual occupation. (This means the benefit is paid out if you are unable to continue your current (usual) job due to disablement. Many policies only pay this benefit if you are unable to undertake any job again).
- Long benefit periods.
- Range of options to tailor the policy cover
- Legal and counselling advice helplines included at no additional cost providing support when you need it most.
- BACS claims payment (optional).
- Monthly instalments available for premiums of £74 and over. Subject to criteria and acceptance).