THE MINIMUM INSURANCE REQUIREMENT IN THIS COUNTY IS:
- LEGAL LIABILITY CLUBS/TEAMS: 'COUNTYCOVER PLUS' policy
- PERSONAL ACCIDENT ADULT TEAMS: 'INTERMEDIATE' policy
- PERSONAL ACCIDENT YOUTH TEAMS: 'BASIC' policy
Frequently Asked Questions
The National Game Insurance Scheme provides two forms of insurance protection, personal accident and legal liability. Both products operate from 1 July to 30 June each calendar year. Provided your club/team adhere to current Government/FA COVID-19 guidelines, these policies can continue to provide protection during this crisis.
In the case of liability insurance we would strongly encourage risk assessments and record keeping of the procedures and checks in place. Whilst this is not a condition of the insurance, you still have to maintain a duty of care and it can also assist in the defence of a claim. All policies are subject to the standard policy terms, conditions and exclusions which can be found in the policy wordings which you can download from this page.
The National Game Insurance Scheme liability and personal accident policies for the 2019/20 season will expire on 30 June 2020. With no indication of a return to normal football activity some clubs/teams may understandably choose to delay the purchase of this insurance cover. Here's some information that may help your decisions.
Personal accident insuranceIf you decide to let this policy lapse it will mean there will be no personal accident cover for your players and officials. However, it is an FA rule that you must have this insurance protection in place each football season. Therefore, when you decide the time is right to return to some organised club/team activity (adhering to the latest Government and The FA guidelines) we aim to provide as much support and flexibility as we can:
- Adult 11 a side and all youth team premiums for the 2020/21 season will include a COVID-19 discount (16.75%) to reflect the period of inactivity from the 2019/20 season.
- We will automatically pro-rata premiums for any policies purchased in the weeks/months beyond 1 July meaning that premiums will gradually reduce further to reflect the shortened policy period to 30 June 2021 common renewal date.
- We can also provide an instalment option for premiums over £74. You can pay over 5 monthly instalments (£10 minimum charge, 6% variable interest rate, 36.76% APR variable). This option is available when purchasing on our website.
Legal liability insuranceThis insurance is arranged by your County FA as a group policy so clubs/teams usually obtain this cover via the affiliation process with them. This group policy expires on the 30 June 2020. NGIS liability cover applies to all affiliated clubs and teams that play at Step 5 and below (men’s) or Tier 3 and below (women’s).
- To ensure protection for these Lancashire FA clubs/teams, the legal liability insurance will automatically continue from renewal and will provide cover for all clubs/teams from 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021.
- This will be regardless of the date a club/team affiliates during the 2020/21 season and will mean that if a club/team are not sure when to return to activities safely, cover will always be active.
- The premium is therefore fixed ‘per club’ whenever you decide to affiliate. This covers an unlimited number of teams ‘per club’ so continues to represent significant value.
Why should you have liability cover in place even if no football is being played?
The National Game Insurance Scheme provides more that just £10m public liability cover it includes £10m employers’ liability, £10m committee liability, £10m professional indemnity and £500k cyber liability. Therefore, for a variety of reasons, it will be important to ensure there is no gap in protection. Here’s a few reasons why:
- Property owners liability - Some clubs own changing facilities, spectators stands etc. incidents can still occur - for example whilst visiting facilities for security checks.
- Committee liability - cover for claims made directly against individuals at the club, e.g. officer, committee member, director and/or trustee for alleged wrongful acts.
- Employers liability - for injuries caused to an employee of the club arising out of and in the course of such employment. This includes volunteers - for example maintaining pitches etc.
- Cyber liability - We anticipate many clubs are operating in a different way and potentially increasing their cyber exposures
- Abuse cover - if an alleged insurable event occurred last year, but was made today, it would be the active insurance at the time the claim was made that would be triggered.
- Professional indemnity - for negligent acts, errors or omissions, libel, slander and defamation. Includes cover for coaching activities that may be given in return for a fee.
The NGIS policy provides cover in the event of an injury to players, committee members, manager, trainers and officials. We recommend that you look at the range of benefits on offer to ensure you purchase cover to meet your needs. We provide cover for both adult teams (including walking football) and youth teams.
'As stipulated by The FA, personal accident insurance is compulsory for Adult 11-a-side teams and all formats of youth football.
I am an existing NGIS policyholder:
If you are currently insured on the NGIS for the 2019/20 season (policy expiry date 30 June 2020) you will receive direct renewal notification from Bluefin Sport either by email (if you provided us with an email address) or alternatively by post. Our renewal notification will explain how you can renew or amend your covers for the 2020/21 season.
I am a new team/club or my team/club insurance policy is currently with another insurance provider:
You have two options available if you wish to purchase the NGIS policies:
1) Apply online (no administration fee). Instant receipt of documentation & installment option available.
If you choose to apply online you can:
- Obtain instant quotations and purchase cover for the new season (Effective date 1 July each year)
- Pay by debit or credit card or;
- Take advantage of our monthly installment facility enabling you to spread the costs over 5 monthly installments. (Full details of the monthly installment amounts and interest charges are provided when you select the Direct Debit payment option).
- Download your policy documentation instantly and automatically receive by email.
- Your County FA will receive automatic notification that cover has been arranged (to assist with your affiliation process)
If you choose to apply by post online and offline. You can either:
- Apply online and select “pay by cheque” on the payment screen. This method will enable to you print out a pre completed application and will also result in a faster processing of your policy documentation when your postal application and payment is received by Bluefin Sport.
- Apply offline by downloading a brochure (You will find the application at the back) and return the application form with a cheque.
The legal liability package provided by the NGIS in this County is called ‘Countycover Plus’. This is an exclusive product that includes five elements of cover in one unique policy:
- Public liability - £10,000,000
- Employers liability - £10,000,000
- Officers and committee liability - £10,000,000
- Professional indemnity - £10,000,000
- Cyber liability - £500,000
- Player to Player - £10,000,000
Because this is a block arrangement made by your County FA it is important that you understand the cover provided to ensure it is adequate for your needs. We strongly recommend you take time to read the summary. (A copy of this document will also have been provided within your affiliation packs from the association.)
- In respect of adult football the cover will only operate for any club, league or team that plays at Step 5 and below (men’s) or Tier 3 and below (women’s). Please contact Bluefin Sport if your club or any team plays in Step 4 and above (men’s) or Tier 2 and above (women’s).
- Cover automatically includes both a club and leagues commercial activities but in respect of the operation of a licensed premises cover will only be provided if the turnover/revenue for this aspect is less than £30,000. For any licensed premises activities that exceed this threshold separate cover is required, so please contact Bluefin Sport to discuss further
- The cover will only operate for or a match official at Step 2 and below (men’s) or Tier 3 and below (women’s).
All covers are subject to terms and conditions. We have highlighted some important ones here (but for full details of all terms and conditions please view the policy summary and policy wording).
- Abuse cover only available to clubs who ensure all persons who operate in some capacity for the club (e.g. managers, coaches and members etc) and have involvement with children have been DBS (previously known as CRB) checked and approved as per Football Association recommendations.
- Car parks for which you are responsible for. It is a condition that you have a clearly displayed disclaimer of liability for any loss or damage to any motor vehicle. This disclaimer is to be situated in a prominent position in your car park.
- Designated changing facilities owned or operated by you. It is a condition that you have a disclaimer of liability for any loss or damage to visitors’ effects within the designated changing facility. The notice must be prominently displayed in or adjacent to the designated changing facility. An attendant must be on duty therein throughout the whole of the time the designated changing facility is in use or it must be adequately locked if unattended.
- Take reasonable steps to use, maintain and upgrade any program which protects against computer viruses or any unauthorised use of or access to the Insured’s computer system, network, electronic link or website;
- Make back-up copies of any data, file or program at reasonably frequent intervals;
- Cancel any username, password or other security protection after the Insured became aware or had reasonable grounds to suspect that it had been made available to any unauthorised person;
- Make reasonable steps to ensure that all personal data held by the Insured is encrypted.
Please view the policy summary and policy wording for details.
Legal liability insurance is arranged by this County FA as a group policy which allows you to purchase the cover at a cost effective premium, whilst also benefiting from a wide cover designed for grassroots football.
- This cover is purchased when you affiliate to this County FA and the premium is collected together with your affiliation fees. (this includes affiliation via The FAs Whole Game System where applicable).
- Once the premium has been received, and your affiliation has been accepted, you will be sent an ‘Evidence of Cover’ from your County FA.